Thursday, July 2, 2009

Our daughter and infomercials




Ashley has taken a strange liking to infomercials, she loves them and she loves and wants every product she sees on them. About a month ago she was watching cartoons and a commercial came on for Bumpits. For those of you that don't get mesmerized by as seen on tv ads you may not be familiar with the Bumpit. A Bumpit is a plastic arch that you place on your head and cover with hair so you get that bump on the back of your head. Well, everytime Ashley sees that commercial she looks at me with puppy dog eyes and says, "Mom, I totally want bumpits, I love them!" Everytime she does it I'm shocked and think high school should be a whole lot of fun.

This morning a commercial for Cindy Crawford's skin care line, Meaningful Beauty, was on. Ashley looked at me and said, "I've seen that meaningful beauty in a magazine. It's a great lotion and makes you pretty" AYAYAYAY! A 3 year old, gulp, a 3 1/2 year old should not be capable of sales pitches all on her own!

And finally when we were in Target last weekend she saw a lady with a broom and told me we should get a shark steam mop. I asked why and she said, "They work better than brooms mom." Silly me.

Now, I have to say if it was a commercial for the ever so dorky Snuggy I wouldn't care but beauty products to make you pretty??? Something about that just bothers me, she's too young to think anything will make her pretty or that she needs anything to make her pretty. Of course I'm her mom and think she's gorgeous even when she has monster hair in the morning and dry drool on her cheak. I guess I also would have expected her to gravitate more towards the cleaning products, like Oxy clean, since she has such a love affair with cleanliness.

So, I guess I shouldn't be surprised if Ash grows up selling things like the magic bullet, sham wow and the ab rocker.

1 comments:

J. Gruenemay said...

Hahahaha! Too funny!!