Monday, July 6, 2009

4th of July


We started our morning enjoying a dorky but fun 4th of July parade. It was nice because it made me feel like we lived in a smaller city, dare I say town, it had all the charm of a small town parade which I loved. After the parade we got ready to have my family over to celebrate my mom's birthday with some ping pong and BBQ. Ping pong was fun to watch but a little roasty toasty for me. I was happy to be in the air conditioned house getting dinner ready. Jason grilled some of the best steaks we've ever had- yum yum. Then we walked over to the park where our blankets and chairs were waiting for us and we saw the most spectacular fireworks show ever. First off, the park was covered with blankets and chairs, there were about 10,000 people according to the announcer yet it still managed to have a homey feel. Once the sky was dark the music started to play and the firework show was like one long finale it was so cool. It was also really neat to be so close to the fireworks. The center of the park was roped off and that's where they were sent up so you were literally right under the sparkles. At one point I whispered to Jason that this reminded me of the Sandlot. For those of you that don't know the sandlot is a movie set in the 50's about boys playing baseball together in the summer (if you haven't seen it, watch it, it's just a cute family movie). Right after I said that they started to play the song from that movie when the boys are running home on the 4th of July, yes, I will admit it brought a couple of prego tears to my eyes. Jason, Ash and I were laying down on the blanket all snuggled up and I couldn't have asked for a better way to celebrate such a wonderful holiday. We're more than looking forward to doing it all again next year with Colin. He reminded me that he was around during the fireworks with a few kicks here and there when there were bone shaking booms. We hope you had a wonderful holiday and thanks to all the men and women that protect and serve our country so we can enjoy such special times and freedoms.

















0 comments: