Thursday, December 3, 2009

Cookies and Milk


This Christmas things are a little different for a lot of us.  Instead of wandering through the aisles of Target and mindlessly tossing items into the cart that are just a few bucks each, we are finding ourselves doing the bulk of our shopping in the $1 bins and taking items out of the cart as we near the register.  Homemade gifts are nudging the pricier gifts off our lists and creativity is the key to our gifts, decor and entertainment.  It's all about simplicity this year and I'm loving it.  The simple joy of watching the glow of Christmas lights on our children's cheeks as they smile is so much more magical than tickets to a fancy Christmas production.  Making gifts that channel the love from our hearts are more rewarding and exciting to give than the newest tech toy or hottest pair of boots.  Tonight, simplicity ruled the roost.  We proudly watched our nephew perform in his pre-school Christmas production, we drove around and looked at Christmas lights in the neighborhood and we had cookies and milk.   Ahhhh, cookies and milk.  There's no better way to end a day.  Having kids in pajamas, the fire burning, the Christmas tree glowing and the house filled with that homemade cookie smell is the best.  I'm not quite ready to tackle all of the family cookie recipes this year (maybe next year) so I decided to stick with a classic and made a batch of Great Grandma Wheeler's chocolate chip cookies with Ashley.  Watching Ashley giggle as she dipped her warm cookies in milk while I held Colin filled my soul with the Christmas spirit.  I stared at my children, my miracles, and couldn't help but smile.  These moments, these simple moments filled with joy and love are the things we'll always hold on to and remember about the holiday.  While most of the world is lamenting over a "tough Christmas" I refuse to feel disappointed, instead I'm enjoying the simplicity and finding that this is how I want every Christmas to be.

1 comments:

J. Gruenemay said...

I couldn't agree with you more! I made handmade gifts for the girls in my family and handed down nice things I bought for myself, but realized someone else might like or use more, to others. 'Tis the season to rethink the reason for giving!! (Ps - It's to show that you care, not that you have the highest AmEx credit limit) ;-)